[OmniOS-discuss] Supermicro X9SRI-F NMI

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Mon Mar 25 17:01:34 EDT 2013

On 3/25/2013 12:45 PM, Eric Sproul wrote:

> Last year when I was testing KVM on a Sandy Bridge box, I was hitting
> https://github.com/joyent/illumos-kvm/issues/1 and trying to
> troubleshoot via NMI.  I had the X9SRA board, which is similar to
> yours.  I didn't have IPMI or a chassis button, so I was attempting to
> short the appropriate pins.  I recall that I saw an NMI message on the
> console, but the system did not panic.

By default it only logs a message that it received an NMI, you need to
add "set pcplusmp:apic_panic_on_nmi=1" to /etc/system and reboot before
it will actually panic on one.

Thanks for the data point; I guess I'll go ahead and pop open the box
and try shorting the jumpers directly to see if that behaves any
differently. It will be disappointing if the ipmi interface isn't able
to generate the same NMI functionality as the physical button, both from
the lack of ability to do it remotely and that I'll need to get some
physical button and wire it through a PCI slot blank or something 8-/.