[OmniOS-discuss] Highpoint 640 or 640L

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Mon Mar 25 17:04:53 EDT 2013

On 3/25/2013 1:05 PM, Eric Sproul wrote:

> The other alternative is not to worry about SATA-III.  A spinning hard
> drive can't saturate a SATA-II port as it is.

Yeah, that :).

The only reason SATA-III spinning rust exists is for marketing purposes
and because eventually it will be cheaper to use SATA-III for everything
rather than continuing to make separate SATA-II interfaces for hard
disks. Unless you're planning to hook up an SSD (or one of the hybrid
hard drives with a built-in SSD cache) there's really nothing gained
from SATA-III.