[OmniOS-discuss] NFS Datastore vmware esxi failover

Saso Kiselkov skiselkov.ml at gmail.com
Fri Nov 8 23:14:51 UTC 2013

On 11/8/13, 10:44 PM, Matt Weiss wrote:
> Does anyone know more about NFS and OmniOS specifically?

Don't try to migrate NFS state between machines transparently, it won't
work. Copying over files won't help you either, the NFS server is
in-kernel and has practically no externally persistent state. In any
case, I don't think this is what you're hitting here. I believe VMWare's
NFS client implementation is robust enough to handle
disconnection/remount transparently. But you need to make sure that at
any given time your datastore appears in the NFS export list from the
server, or that the entire NFS server is inaccessible - these are the
two states handled by ESX. Specifically, having the IP address assigned
*before* the NFS share is exported will cause ESX to declare the
datastore inaccessible and stop retrying.

--
Saso