[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS / SuperMicro motherboard and settings for IPMI SOL

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Nov 11 17:15:08 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-11 16:11, Paul Jochum wrote:
> Hi All:
>
>      Does anyone know the magic settings (either/both in the SuperMicro
> BIOS or OmniOS), to get the SOL (serial over LAN) on the IPMI on SSH to
> display the console?  I can see the BIOS boot messages through the
> following:
>
> ssh <ipmi address of the IPMI>
> cd /system1/sol1
> start
>
> But, once I hit "GRUB loading stage 2", the window goes blank and I
> can't see anything else.

May I presume you have serial console configured in GRUB itself and
passed to the kernel command-line? Or do you need to add something
like the below snippets to menu.lst? Also make sure that the speed
(default 9600, 115200, whatever) is matched in SOL/BIOS/GRUB/OS, or
maybe is autodetected in SOL/BIOS side and does not matter.

# Primary GRUB console is physical; allow sercon too
# (must press a key there to get grub menu)
serial --unit=0 --speed=9600 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1
terminal --timeout=10 console serial

title default_bootfs syscon
findroot (pool_rpool,0,a)
kernel$ /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix -B $ZFS-BOOTFS
module$ /platform/i86pc/$ISADIR/boot_archive

title default_bootfs sercon
findroot (pool_rpool,0,a)
kernel$ /platform/i86pc/kernel/$ISADIR/unix -B $ZFS-BOOTFS,console=ttya
module$ /platform/i86pc/$ISADIR/boot_archive

Actually the "default" system (OS) console is not necessarily keyboard
and screen - this depends on "eeprom" (/grub/solaris/bootenv.rc) lines,
i.e. one can have this:

setprop console 'ttya'
#setprop console 'text'
setprop ttyb-rts-dtr-off false
setprop ttyb-ignore-cd true
setprop ttya-rts-dtr-off false
setprop ttya-ignore-cd true
setprop ttyb-mode 9600,8,n,1,-
setprop ttya-mode 9600,8,n,1,-

For alternative serial speeds (115200, etc.) you may need to update
/etc/ttydefs, adding the option to "console" and/or "contty" loops,
beside changing the other locations.

HTH,
//Jim Klimov