[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS / SuperMicro motherboard and settings for IPMI SOL

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Nov 12 10:06:18 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-12 10:35, Jim Klimov wrote:
 > On 2013-11-11 23:34, Paul Jochum wrote:
 >>      Thank you for responding.  In playing with our system, I now can do
 >> the following:
 >> 1) on the SOL interface, I can see most of the POST messages
 >> 2) I see all of grub messages (and the menu)
 >> 3) Once OmniOS starts booting, I sometimes see about the first 30
 >> characters:
 >> "SunOS Release 5.11 Version omn"
 >> while the real console displays the full message and the login prompt.
 >
 > This did happen to me on SOL with earlier Intel MFSYS servers and
 > I've never worked around it well. However when we did similar setup
 > recently on a newer MFSYS box (maybe v2, maybe just newer firmware)
 > the "serial" console-over-LAN worked with no hiccups.

I'd add that with Linux servers this old box was also buggy,
in i.e. "vi" it often looped output or broke sessions, while
the new box had no hiccups as I said. May be there is a problem
with flow-control or something - apparently fixed in newer
hardware or firmware - while there is lots of text output
(i.e. the GRUB menu in dumb mode), this almost predictably
breaks on certain output. So we are looking at scheduling
some downtime to update this old MFSYS chassis's firmware,
maybe you should also check with your server's vendor if there
are new firmwares, whether they announce such a fix or not

HTH,
//Jim Klimov