[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS / SuperMicro motherboard and settings for IPMI SOL

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Tue Nov 12 09:35:48 UTC 2013

On 2013-11-11 23:34, Paul Jochum wrote:
>      Thank you for responding.  In playing with our system, I now can do
> the following:
> 1) on the SOL interface, I can see most of the POST messages
> 2) I see all of grub messages (and the menu)
> 3) Once OmniOS starts booting, I sometimes see about the first 30
> characters:
> "SunOS Release 5.11 Version omn"
> while the real console displays the full message and the login prompt.

This did happen to me on SOL with earlier Intel MFSYS servers and
I've never worked around it well. However when we did similar setup
recently on a newer MFSYS box (maybe v2, maybe just newer firmware)
the "serial" console-over-LAN worked with no hiccups.

I've tried the old box now, with newest OI "release" - it's the same:

Press any key to continue.
Press any key to continue.
Press any key to continue.
OpenIndiana Build oi_151a8 64-bit (illumos 7256a34efe)
SunOS Release 5.11 - Copyright 1983-2010 Oracle and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved. Use is subject to license terms.
Mo

On a side note, I'd love to find a way to report to the "screen"
console that the system is booted and login should be sought on
the serial port. Because KVMing or otherwise looking at a blank
screen makes the hand jerk involuntarily towards the reset button ;)
But things like /dev/console are only routed to the current console
(serial). I believe, virtual terminals (vt{1-6}) do have a way to
hook up the physical console, I just did not find it back then :-\
Likewise, in this aspect I miss Linux approach to /dev/console (or
some similar device?) being a sort of multiplexor that has one input
but spews over many outputs like serial, screen and UDP-sink at once...

//Jim