[OmniOS-discuss] [discuss] illumos power management

Garrett D'Amore garrett at damore.org
Wed Nov 13 19:24:02 UTC 2013

CPU power management is unlikely to do much for you.  Its better to rely on
C-states to save power on modern systems.  That said, there are some known
bugs with deep C states and some drivers; we don't ordinarily recommend
setting it for servers.

The autopm should probably just be set to disable for your configuration.
 Letting the system power down your hard drives is likely to be the root of
your problems.  You don't need or want to power the drives down, and
probably you don't want to power management anything else.  (Frankly, very
very few components on typical illumos based systems even support power
management apart from the disk subsystem.  The display subsystem typically
uses its own power management which doesn't participate with the rest of
illumos' power management framework, IIRC.)

Indeed, the illumos power management framework is kind of a shambles right
now -- consisting of at least two separate generations of code, a high
level of complexity, and almost no substantial support from the various
things that *should* support it.

At one point I was discussing with Randy Fishel about some ideas I had for
simplifying things substantially. Most generally, these days involvement
with a core power management is probably *not* what you want, except to
indicate "policy"  -- modern devices (disk drives notwithstanding) can
generally raise and lower power so quickly that its best to just let the
drivers do their own power management explicitly, with only a few
monitoring and policy hooks.  This would lead to a vastly simpler power
framework, which would probably be more likely to be taken up driver
authors than the current mess.