[OmniOS-discuss] [discuss] illumos power management

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Thu Nov 14 01:04:31 UTC 2013

Don't you need an Apple Airport to avail of wake on demand? Or an Apple TV
it looks like...

> With flash l2arc & mirrored logging flash, the impact of sleeping under
ZFS
> has the potential to be a lot less intrusive. Have you thought about
adding
> some SSD's to your system and keep your maximum power savings?

Heh; when I picked this chassis:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/3u/836/sc836ba-r920.cfm

I think I pretty much already gave up on "maximum" power savings ;). I've
actually got a 4.5 kW solar panel system I put in a few years ago when we
remodeled, so I'm not drastically concerned about power use, but I wouldn't
mind saving a few watts here and there on things that won't really result in
a performance impact. 30 odd seconds of latency isn't really going to cut it
on that regard, so I'm ruling out hard drive sleep. I'd probably be happy
enough just with power savings on the CPUs.

Thanks.