[OmniOS-discuss] [discuss] illumos power management

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Fri Nov 15 06:07:31 UTC 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 06:19:03PM -0800, Rafael Vanoni wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, how big is this box (how many sockets/chips and
> how much memory)?

It's a Supermicro 836BA-R920B chassis with a X9SRI-F motherboard, a
single Xeon E5-2620 (hex core) and 48G (6 x 8) of Crucial DDR3 PC3-12800
ECC memory... Along with 13 WD Red 3TB drives (2 x 6 raidz2 + spare), 2
crucial m4 256G SSDs (rpool/l2arc), and an Intel DC S3700 as slog.
Someday I'll have to break out the ammeter and see how much juice it's
actually sucking. All the pieces are (relatively) power efficient, but
it's still a lot of box. Percentage wise, turning on CPU power
management is probably a drop in the bucket, but it makes me feel better
;).