[OmniOS-discuss] reboot hangs on 'rebooting...'

Tom Robinson tom.robinson at motec.com.au
Tue Oct 8 00:37:45 UTC 2013

Hi Garret,

Thanks again.

On 08/10/13 11:10, Garrett D'Amore wrote:

> On Oct 7, 2013, at 4:29 PM, Tom Robinson <tom.robinson at motec.com.au
> <mailto:tom.robinson at motec.com.au>> wrote:
>
>> Hi Garret,
>>
>> Thanks for your message.
>>
>> The host configuration is as follows:
>>
>> Supermicro X9DRi-F
>> 256GB RAM (16x Hynix 16GB ECC Reg. DDR3 1600MHz)
>> 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620
>> 2 x Intel SSD 320 80GB (rpool)
>> 4 x STEC Enterprise S842 200GB (ARC)
>> 1 x STEC ZeusRAM 8GB 3.5" SAS SSD (ZIL)
>> 1 x LSI SAS 9207-8i (internal drives)
>> 1 x Intel Ethernet Server Adapter X520-DA2, Dual Port 10Gbps SFP+ Direct Attach Copper, PCI-e 2.0
>> 5GT/s 1
>> 2 x Mellanox ConnectX®-2 VPI
>> 2 x LSI SAS 9207-8e (JBODS)
>
> I'd be suspicious of the Mellanox cards.  Are these the hermon driver?  It looks like there is an
> attempt to do the right thing for those drivers, but… I don't know if I believe it all works
> properly.  The other cards should be fine.
>
> - Garrett

It is indeed the hermon driver:

/etc/driver_aliases

hermon "pciex15b3,6340"
hermon "pciex15b3,634a"
hermon "pciex15b3,6732"
hermon "pciex15b3,673c"
hermon "pciex15b3,6746"

>> That is connected via external SAS to two JBODS containing 28 x 1TB disks each for mirrored zfs
>> vdevs.
>>
>> The output from prtconf -vp is attached as it's very long (2042 lines).
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Tom
>>
>> On 08/10/13 02:06, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>>> If you're seeing hangs like this, I would appreciate knowing the hardware configuration.
>>>  Prtconf -vp might be helpful.  Presumably this is the result of one or more devices not doing
>>> the right thing for quiesce().
>>>
>>> - Garrett

I did have fastreboot set to true (installed default setting):

# svcs -vl system/boot-config | grep fastreboot
config/fastreboot_default (boolean) = true
config/fastreboot_onpanic (boolean) = true
fastreboot_blacklist (application)
fastreboot_blacklist/platforms (astring) = VirtualBox "VMware Virtual Platform"MCP55 "Precision
WorkStation 650    ""PowerEdge 1600SC           "
fastreboot_blacklist/stability (astring) = Unstable

I'm not sure what the fastboot_blacklist settings are or why they are there. Should I remove that?
Looks like some sort of remnant I don't need.

I have set config/fastreboot_default=false and config/fastreboot_onpanic=false. I now get:

"bootadm: failed to find boot signature. Reboot with arguments failed."

but the system does reboot every time now. What is the significance of the above message? Does that
indicate that the "-r" option will be ignored on reboot?

Regards,
Tom