[OmniOS-discuss] omnios host goes suddenly silent on the network

Eric Sproul esproul at omniti.com
Tue Oct 29 20:12:49 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 3:55 PM, Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:
> this how we had it setup originally :-) we thought that it might be
> better to hook zone0 into the virtual switch ... for performance
> since the kvms are using nfs resources from zone0 ...
>
> but you are right, it might make sense to switch back ...

AFAIK, unless you are actually using etherstubs, there is no "virtual
switch" in the strict sense-- there's just a pathway out of one
virtualized TCP/IP stack in the kernel (the one for the KVM vnic) and
into another (fugu0).  I'm not sure it's any different if the
destination address is over a hardware interface as opposed to a vnic,
but it seems simpler to my eyes.  I am not a kernel engineer though.
:)

Eric