[OmniOS-discuss] omnios host goes suddenly silent on the network

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Tue Oct 29 20:17:26 UTC 2013

Hi Eric,

Today Eric Sproul wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 3:10 PM, Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch> wrote:
> > the troubling bit is that during the outage, the kvm hosts on
> > akami0 and nigiri0 were able to talk to the physical network just
> > fine, but they were not able to talk to fugu0 ...  and this is all
> > happening inside the crossbow switch within illumos if I
> > understand the concept correctly ...
>
> I'm not an expert on the Crossbow stack, but essentially I think this
> is correct, so perhaps we're looking at a VNIC issue with fugu0 and
> not anything to do with hardware.

that's what I was afraid to ... maybe some 'bad' packets coming in
over the network (it is pretty wild setup there) somehow confusing
the stack ...

> Since you're not using aggregate links, it should be possible to let
> the global zone use igb0 directly without disturbing the KVM vnics.  I
> do this on a number of dev systems.  It might be worth a try to move
> the address fugu0/v4static to igb0/v4static, though you'll of course
> need out-of-band or console access to do that.

did that now ... no need for a console btw, if you are cool :-)
(and have a console just in case)

  ipadm delete-addr fugu0/v4static; ipadm create-addr -T static -a 10.10.10.1/30 igb0/v4static

cheers
tobi