[OmniOS-discuss] hw recomendation for JBOD box

Johan Kragsterman johan.kragsterman at capvert.se
Thu Oct 31 04:29:05 UTC 2013

Tobi!

@ the discussion about JBOD and expanders: For me, JBOD is the best solution, at least for spinning disks. Where you would place your cache is another question. But for the JBOD, you would need to ask yourself wether you would like expanders or not. That depends of course of your environmental needs, the prestanda needed, your workload, etc.

JBOD, for me, is the best solution because of the flexibility. It's easy to move it to another storage head.

There was a discussion on this list a couple of month ago, where someone mentioned expanderless JBOD's, I believe it was Supermicro. I don't recall who it was that mentioned them, perhaps it was Richard Elling? With these you can get all the bandwith you like, so it's like internal disks. I would like someone that has experience of these to comment on this.

Otherwise, normally perhaps, you wouldn't need direct links to all of your drives, especially if you got a good cache implementation.
 I would also consider, if I was in your situation, a 2U storage head server, instead of a 1U, because of two things: 1: The cache. You would like your cache to be able to expand. 2: Expansion even here: You would like to have good expansion possibilities in the chassi and the mo'bo'(slots), for beeing able to connect to more JBOD's. In a 1U chassi your expansion possibilities are very limited.

Rgrds Johan