[OmniOS-discuss] hw recomendation for JBOD box

Jim Oltman jim.oltman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 15:19:09 UTC 2013

I agree with Paul above.  At my company, I had to convince them that ZFS
was the way to go.  We ended up going with Nexenta and their HA cluster
option.  Two headnodes (Inte E5645 with 48GB RAM  each) that each connect
to 3 JBODs via dual LSI 9207-8e in each headnode.  We have 2 DataOn
DNS-1600 4U 24 bay JBODs and one 2U LSI 12 Bay JBOD.  Each JBOD has 2
redundant cards with 2 inputs and one output on each card.  This allows for
high availability software to fail over to a different headnode without the
need to unplug anything from the back.

I really prefer the DataON JBODs to the SuperMicro.  The DataON JBODs have
99% field replaceable parts.  Dual PSUs, dual SAS controller cards (both
removeable without taking down power).  If you have to replace a failed
expander on the SuperMicro JBOD, you have to take down the whole JBOD and
replace the backplane.  Can get messy.

The DataON JBOD is more expensive, but you really get what you pay for.
 Don't get me wrong.  We have a couple SuperMicro JBODs and they've worked
well.  I'm just really nervous for the day that the backplane dies and I
have to take down storage for X number of days while I get new parts.

Good Luck!
Jim