[OmniOS-discuss] Boot from mirrored USB?

Valrhona valrhona at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 15:48:17 UTC 2013

I have been running OmniOS and Napp-It on my Dell T710 server, booting
off of a USB stick running on the internal port for several months,
with no issues or problems. I deliberately found and bought an SLC
flash-based USB stick for this purpose, on Taobao (China's Ebay) last
time I visited, which were dirt-cheap ($20 for 16 GB) and work like a
charm. This is the main fileserver I use everyday, and USB booting
works fine.

I am also running OpenIndiana on my major workstation, with mirrored
SLC Intel SSDs, and again no issues or problems; just followed the
standard installation guide, and everything works fine.

Peter