[OmniOS-discuss] Boot from mirrored USB?

Günther Alka alka at hfg-gmuend.de
Thu Oct 31 17:28:26 UTC 2013

napp-it has a web menu entry to create ZFS mirrored disks or mirrored
usb sticks (both bootable)
following the blog of Constantin Gonzales:

http://constantin.glez.de/blog/2011/03/how-set-zfs-root-pool-mirror-oracle-solaris-11-express

With high quality and fast usb sticks especially in a mirrored config
and atime disabled,
usb boot is a very attractive boot method where you can easily create
clones of sticks for backups
or OS deployment (I offer a free Windows clone tool and preconfigured
OmniOS images for download at napp-it.org).
Performance wise usb boot is quite ok.

Only problem: currently you can only boot from usb when you plugin the
sticks in those ports
that were used during setup. It would be perfect it you may boot from
any usb port maybe on similar
mainboards. But this seems a Grub restriction where the physical
bootdevice is hardcoded during setup.

On 31.10.2013 15:01, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
> I believe napp-it based on OmniOS also boots from USB.  The mirroring
> is hard because I don't think it is a native ZFS boot -- works more
> like a ram disk.
>

> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 9:53 AM, Chris Nehren
> <cnehren+omnios-discuss at omniti.com
> <mailto:cnehren+omnios-discuss at omniti.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 11:54:50 +0000, Ben Summers wrote:
>     >
>     > Hello,
>     >
>     > I'm speccing out some new hardware. It seems challenging to get
>     vendor supported configurations which give you lots of discs on a
>     Solarish OS, rather than using horrid RAID cards.
>     >
>     > The best config I've found so far seems to be a Fujitsu RX200
>     with 4 internal 15k SAS discs (the internal supported card can
>     only do 8 drives if you use RAID), plus a Fujitsu branded LSI
>     controller connected to an Intel 3.5" JBOD array for bulk storage
>     and maybe an SSD for ZIL.
>     >
>     > Because I'd like to use all the internal discs for a database as
>     a pair of mirrors in a single JBOD, I was wondering if anyone
>     boots from USB discs?
>
>     SmartOS is designed to run from USB drives. I don't know if their
>     configuration supports mirroring, though.
>
>     --
>     Chris Nehren
>

> --
>
> Theo Schlossnagle