[OmniOS-discuss] Strange Issue with Grub (I Think)

Ben Kitching Ben.Kitching at Jigsaw24.com
Fri Sep 6 17:35:53 UTC 2013

Firstly, hello to the list,

This is my first post.

I'm having a strange issue with OmniOS.

I have a Supermicro 36 Bay Chassis with this motherboard:

http://www.supermicro.co.uk/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9DRD-7LN4F.cfm

With more than 34 drives the system fails to boot, all drives are seen by the LSI utility at POST and the POST completes successfully when OmniOS tries to boot I just get a black screen with a flashing cursor.

If I leave the drives out until OmniOS boots up then plug them in they are all seen.

I've seen the same behaviour with OmniOS r151006p r151006c, the latest build of bloody and OpenIndiana 151a8

This happens when booting both a full install and the installer (either from USB or DVD).

This is sending me insane!

Any insight anyone can give is appreciated

Ben.