[OmniOS-discuss] Strange Issue with Grub (I Think)

Eric Sproul esproul at omniti.com
Mon Sep 9 14:30:01 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 1:35 PM, Ben Kitching <Ben.Kitching at jigsaw24.com> wrote:
> Firstly, hello to the list,
>
> This is my first post.

Welcome!

> I'm having a strange issue with OmniOS.
>
> I have a Supermicro 36 Bay Chassis with this motherboard:
>
> http://www.supermicro.co.uk/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9DRD-7LN4F.cfm
>
> With more than 34 drives the system fails to boot, all drives are seen by
> the LSI utility at POST and the POST completes successfully when OmniOS
> tries to boot I just get a black screen with a flashing cursor.

This board's built-in SAS HBA comes with IR firmware, correct?  It is
not the "-JBOD" SKU?

How have you set up the disks behind this controller?  Are they
individual RAID-0's or something else?

Could you provide the PCI ID that your controller appears as?  You can
get this via `prtconf -d` or by installing the pciutils package and
running /usr/sbin/lspci.

Thanks,
Eric