[OmniOS-discuss] anything change since 151005 that would cause KVM to stop working?

ashley willis ashleywillis76 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 8 23:55:39 UTC 2013

Kent Watsen kent at watsen.net wrote:
> I posted to the list about 6 months ago my attempt to compile the KVM
> driver for AMD. I was ultimately successful (thanks Theo and Eric!)
>
> Now, after some delay, I've decided to it again with a fresh install of
> OmniOS (151006p).  I followed the same steps to build illumos and the
> kvm driver and install it.  But it doesn't work anymore - this is on the
> *same* box as before...

I installed 151006p last night on my AMD FX-8150 and compiled
https://github.com/estibi/illumos-kvm/tree/my_amd_merge today.
I successfully loaded it and am currently installing Ubuntu under KVM
right now. So, it's a success for me. Someone on IRC with an older AMD
processor said he had the same problem as you.

Also, hi there -- I'm a complete noob to Solaris-style UNIX, being
quite familiar with Linux and somewhat with OS X. KVM on AMD was a
prereq for using this, as the only Intel box I have is a MacBook Pro.

-ashley