[OmniOS-discuss] rsync issues

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Sep 9 21:00:00 UTC 2013

On 2013-09-09 20:40, Ian Kaufman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to slurp data over from one IllumOS based system
> (Illumian) to another (latest stable OmniOS), and I am running into a
> problem. I keep seeing the error:
>
> rsync: failed to set permissions on "FILENAME": Not owner (1)
>
> which is leaving me with all of my dirs/files either 777 or 666. I am
> using the -a flag, both as root and as the directory/file owner, and
> the namespace/user ids are consistent across the system. My idmapd
> domain is also consistent.

One wild guess, especially if you are root on local system, is that
maybe the original FS objects had extended attributes like immutable,
and if that is set on a directory - that might somehow forbid further
receiving of files into it?

This is a "wild guess" again, but if it is right - you might want to
retry, by receiving data and hard/symlinks first (without much care
for attributes), and then pass over this with a more complete rsync
option set, which would set FS attributes as well.

HTH,
//Jim