[OmniOS-discuss] rsync issues

Tim Rice tim at multitalents.net
Tue Sep 10 20:27:28 UTC 2013

On Mon, 9 Sep 2013, Ian Kaufman wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to slurp data over from one IllumOS based system
> (Illumian) to another (latest stable OmniOS), and I am running into a
> problem. I keep seeing the error:
>
> rsync: failed to set permissions on "FILENAME": Not owner (1)
>
> which is leaving me with all of my dirs/files either 777 or 666. I am
> using the -a flag, both as root and as the directory/file owner, and
> the namespace/user ids are consistent across the system. My idmapd
> domain is also consistent.
>
> Has anyone else seen this problem?

I just go through migrating the data from my UnixWare server to
OmniOS (omnios-b281e50) and saw a very similar error message. I say
similar because if I remember correctly it came from tar not rsync.
Then doing a rsync tuned up things nicely. The problem files all seemed
to be suid root.

--
Tim Rice				Multitalents
tim at multitalents.net