[OmniOS-discuss] My NFS low performance test.

Muhammad Yousuf Khan sirtcp at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 21:40:04 UTC 2013

first of  sorry for starting a new thread for same issue explained earlier
because. i
mistakenly deleted the email. so my apologizes.

my omniOS server hardware is as under.
dual 3.2GHz Processors, 12 GB RAM. dell 490 workstation
4 sata drives set with RAIDz2
1 40GB very old IDE drive for OmniOS root system

i have 3 servers for testing.
1. KVM virtualization server (Proxmox)
2. OmniOS (NFS)
3. Desktop machine

all three are connected via 1GB LAN broadcast domain.

i have hosted a test VM (windows 2003 server) on NFS and when i am trying
to copy the data (2gb File) from VM via Microsoft sharing to a desktop
machine. i doing something very abnormal which i can not understand why

just FYI : all the virtual machines hosted on KVM (proxmox server) local
harddrives are on mdadm linux raid. and working great. and i see no issue
in copy and pasting data from or to the local VM machines.

In attached graphics you will see 2 test of sending 2GB file.
in "snap a.1"  for few seconds file transfer stuck at 2 percent and then
due to unknown reasons bumps to 15%. and it continues for few seconds and
when file reaches the end it again goes down to 3 Percent  as you can see
in "snap a.2"

in "snap b.1" you can see it starts at 3% max and for 2 minutes it
continues and speed only  changes btw 1% to 3%. see in "snap b.2"

some says disable sync for testing and see if performance increases, sorry
it didnt help me. same thing happens, whether i disable or enable the sync
it makes no difference for me

and Some says to upgrade the RAM which i am already looking but just a part
of my confusion when i see vmstat it shows me i have 7GB free RAM

is there anyone can please explain me why and what is happening behind all
this, the workstation hosting OmniOS is a good machine. why it is doing
some thing very unexpected.

Any advice, suggestion, tip etc. will be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Myk