[OmniOS-discuss] My NFS low performance test.

Muhammad Yousuf Khan sirtcp at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 06:42:14 UTC 2013

Just notice and would like to share my new finding.

as i mentioned earlier i am using RAIDz2 and hosted a VM on NFS. so for
testing i "SCP"  the whole HD image of VM to some other Linux system so
that i can learn if the issue is with Drive speed or the issue is with NFS
protocol, (of course not a bug with NFS but i have done something wrong in
configuring)

here is the SCP result. the  virtual harddisk image size is 32 GB.
i am running this command from OmniOS SSH.

vm-100001-disk-1.qco  50% |**************               | 16461 MB    09:42
ETA

you can see it copy 16 GB and i confirm that it took 3 to 4 minutes to copy
that huge data.

it seems fine to me. same RAIDz2 but  protocol change (SCP on SSH) so i
think the issue is with NFS. not with the Hardware speed/specs limitation.

any idea please.

Thanks,
Myk