[OmniOS-discuss] Java/JDK for OmniOS

Marion Hakanson hakansom at ohsu.edu
Mon Sep 23 23:57:06 UTC 2013

Hi all,

A quick peek around discussion archives didn't reveal an obvious answer
to me, so I'm asking here....

When I need a more modern Java/JDK (e.g. version 7, or even a newer/fixed
version 6) on Solaris-10 and OpenIndiana,  I've been just applying the
Oracle-provided pkgadd-format distributions here:

  http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

I like the pkgadd-format because they are self-contained, they update
the /usr/jdk/latest/ link, and when it's time to upgrade you just "pkgrm"
the old ones, and "pkgadd" the new ones.

Anyway, we're deploying OmniOS "stable" these days, and wondered what
folks out there are doing for OmniOS.  I read that the "bloody" line
is using OpenJDK-7.  If I do the "pkgadd" thing in 151006/stable now,
am I going to interfere with some future update when the current bloody
takes on stable status?

Comments/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks and regards,

Marion