[OmniOS-discuss] Java/JDK for OmniOS

Steffen Kram sk at kram.io
Tue Sep 24 08:17:53 UTC 2013

Hi Marion,

I'm using the Oracle JDK 7 which I packaged for OmniOS. I do not provide it on my public repository because I think this is not allowed according to the current licensing terms. Nevertheless, it's very easy to package it, since you must just copy the necessary files.

Each package for a major Version provides a handy symlink, e.g. /opt/java/jdk-1.7.0_17 -> /opt/java/jdk1.7. This link is distributed with the package and hence is automatically updated with each new version. Furthermore we use a default jdk symlink /opt/java/jdk-default which is distributed within its own package just containing this link and depending on our current default jdk.

If someone has more insights on the Oracle licensing terms I would be glad to upload those packages to my public repo, maybe I'm allowed to publish my build-scripts …

Cheers,
Steffen