[OmniOS-discuss] preconfigured ZFS/OmniOS All-IN-ONE appliance for ESXi 5.5

alka alka at hfg-gmuend.de
Sun Sep 29 00:44:08 UTC 2013

I have published a ready to use OmniOS ZFS appliance for my All-In-One idea
for ESXi 5.5 (without 32GB RAM Limit) with vmware tools installed

If you want to test the appliance (best on ESXi with an additional LSI SAS controller in pass-through mode, needs vt-d capable systems)
http://napp-it.org/downloads/

- download
- unzip (7Zip)
- upload to ESXi's local datastore (ESXi filebrowser)
this can last some time

- import to inventory with right-click on the .vmx file (ESXi filebrowser)
- add storage controller to VM (via pass-through)
- boot, login as root (no pw) and use ifconfig to get serverip
- start and manage via browser http://serverip:81

It is a ready to use OmniOS ZFS storage appliance and includes
- e1000 and vmxnet3 vnics (dhcp) with ESXi 5.5 tools preinstalled
- working AFP, CIFS and iSCSI/FC
- napp-it Web-UI  on latest stable OmniOS

It is free to use (home and commercially).
With enough RAM it gives you a similar performance like a barebone install.

Gea
napp-it.org