[OmniOS-discuss] Status of VAAI

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Wed Aug 6 02:24:02 UTC 2014

On Aug 5, 2014, at 8:38 PM, Schweiss, Chip <chip at innovates.com> wrote:

> I used to do a lot of Linux kernel work, but haven't jumped in on Illumos, mostly because the information to get started seems sparse and often outdated on the few wiki pages that exist.

The wiki isn't bad.  Also look at this old blog post for building small bits:

	http://kebesays.blogspot.com/2011/03/for-illumos-newbies-on-developing-small.html

After our Surge conference this year, we're having an Illumos Day.  Would an intro-to-new-developers talk be useful?

> One curiosity I have is could a hybrid distribution of OmniOS with a Nexenta kernel be built and be useable.  Nexenta keeps everything out in the open on Github.   How hard would it be to build that kernel and utilize it?

You might as well spend the effort to upstream bits of illumos-nexenta that you find interesting.  My next mail on this thread will discuss this.