[OmniOS-discuss] FTP server leaving illumos. Replacement suggestions?

Eric Sproul esproul at omniti.com
Fri Aug 8 14:06:50 UTC 2014

IMHO the existence of an FTP daemon in the base OS runs counter to the
OmniOS minimalist philosophy.  We don't ship any httpd servers in the
base OS, for example, even though many other OSes and illumos distros
do.  in.ftpd there now because it's part of illumos but I don't feel a
strong need to put a replacement in, "just to have one".  Is FTP still
*that* important to people?  I'd argue that if it is, you would be
using your own modern daemon rather than using the decades-old WU
version in -gate, and therefore dropping it causes no harm.

And, since a change to something like ProFTPd or vsftpd is likely
going to require reconfiguration anyway, would having something in a
commonly-used but non-base repo like ms.omniti.com be acceptable?

Eric