[OmniOS-discuss] vnic zone disabled after reboot

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 12:21:52 UTC 2014

hi,

This is bugging me and cannot get it to work properly.

Disclaimer: I am no solaris old timer so all info I have on this is from
the omnios wiki and my own trial and errors.

So I have an omnios real hardware host with just 1 physical nic (bge0):

root at zfstank:~# dladm show-phys
LINK         MEDIA                STATE      SPEED  DUPLEX    DEVICE
bge0         Ethernet             up         1000   full      bge0

To simplify my lab I would very much like to use dhcp for the
hosts/vms/zones. I create vnics like this

# dladm create-vnic -l bge0 vnic1

there it is:

# dladm show-vnic
LINK         OVER         SPEED  MACADDRESS        MACADDRTYPE         VID
vnic1        bge0         1000   2:8:20:ae:f6:c0   random              0

Then I create a zone and assign the vnic1 as a physical nic to it:

global # zonecfg -z zone1
sapacc: No such zone configured
Use 'create' to begin configuring a new zone.
zonecfg:sapacc> create
zonecfg:sapacc> set zonepath=/tank/zones/zone1
zonecfg:sapacc> set autoboot=false
zonecfg:sapacc> set ip-type=exclusive
zonecfg:sapacc> add net
zonecfg:sapacc:net> set physical=vnic1
zonecfg:sapacc:net> end
zonecfg:sapacc> verify
zonecfg:sapacc> commit
zonecfg:sapacc> exit

Then I install the zone and I see the link:

zone 1# dladm show-link
LINK        CLASS     MTU    STATE    BRIDGE     OVER
vnic1       vnic      1500   up       --         ?

Then I create an inteface and an address:
root at zone1:~# ipadm create-if vnic1
root at zone1:~# ipadm create-addr -T dhcp vnic1/v4
root at zone1:~# ipadm show-addr
ADDROBJ TYPE STATE ADDR
lo0/v4 static ok 127.0.0.1/8
vnic1/v4 dhcp ok 192.168.0.171/24
lo0/v6 static ok ::1/128

And it works. Ok, let's reboot the zone, but now the address is disabled:

# ipadm show-addr
ADDROBJ           TYPE     STATE        ADDR
lo0/v4            static   ok           127.0.0.1/8
lo0/v6            static   ok           ::1/128
vnic1/v4          dhcp     disabled     ?

I cannot enable it either:
# ipadm enable-addr vnic1/v4
ipadm: persistent operation not supported for enable-addr

Not really sure what the PERSISTENT -46 means:
root at zone1:~# ipadm show-if
IFNAME     STATE    CURRENT      PERSISTENT
lo0        ok       -m-v------46 ---
vnic1      ok       bm--------4- -46

Am I doing something wrong or is it just that zones are not supposed
to use dhcp addresses?

Thanks for your help.
--
Groeten,