[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS KVM on AMD Processor

Josef 'Jeff' Sipek jeffpc at josefsipek.net
Sat Aug 23 14:35:21 UTC 2014

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 04:02:26PM +0200, Suleyman Nazif Kutlu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am brand new to OmniOS. Reading some documentation on Internet I found
> out that on Illumos based OSes KVM is only supported on Intel processors.
> Is this true for OmniOS as well?
>
> I am planning to use OmniOS on an AMD processor server with ZFS+KVM+Zones
> as a virtualization host for some personal Web Servers, databases, Home
> Fileserver, Multimedia Streaming, etc..
>
> I started with Ubuntu+KVM several years ago, then migrated to ESXi 5.x...
> Now I want to use ZFS as well. This is main reason for me to start thinking
> about Illumos based OSes.
>
> Although ZOL is available on Ubuntu, I believe, as many others on Internet,
> ZFS on Illumos based OSes are more mature then ZOL.
>
> If this works on AMD processor, I will start migrations as soon as
> possible...

Unless OmniTI managed to get that working (I haven't heard about anything
like that), the answer is still "no, only Intel is supported".  There have
been attempts at getting AMD support going, but I think everyone involved
gave up.

Jeff.

--
Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them
		- Albert Einstein