[OmniOS-discuss] OmniOS KVM on AMD Processor

Sat Aug 23 14:02:26 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I am brand new to OmniOS. Reading some documentation on Internet I found
out that on Illumos based OSes KVM is only supported on Intel processors.
Is this true for OmniOS as well?

I am planning to use OmniOS on an AMD processor server with ZFS+KVM+Zones
as a virtualization host for some personal Web Servers, databases, Home
Fileserver, Multimedia Streaming, etc..

I started with Ubuntu+KVM several years ago, then migrated to ESXi 5.x...
Now I want to use ZFS as well. This is main reason for me to start thinking
about Illumos based OSes.

Although ZOL is available on Ubuntu, I believe, as many others on Internet,
ZFS on Illumos based OSes are more mature then ZOL.

If this works on AMD processor, I will start migrations as soon as
possible...

Thanks in advance.
-Suleyman Kutlu