[OmniOS-discuss] common-factor key exchange

Michael Mounteney gate03 at landcroft.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 23:41:49 UTC 2014

On Mon, 1 Dec 2014 14:36:03 -0800
"Paul B. Henson" <henson at acm.org> wrote:

> I've got no idea why yours is behaving differently. What use flags do
> you have set? Mine are:
>
> [ebuild   R    ] net-misc/openssh-6.6_p1-r1  USE="X hpn kerberos pam
> -X509 -bindist -ldap -ldns -libedit (-selinux) -skey -static -tcpd" 0
> kB

My use flags are

equery u openssh
[ Legend : U - final flag setting for installation]
[        : I - package is installed with flag     ]
[ Colors : set, unset                             ]
 * Found these USE flags for net-misc/openssh-6.7_p1-r3:
 U I
 + + X        : Add support for X11
 - - X509     : Adds support for X.509 certificate authentication
 - - bindist  : Disable EC/RC5 algorithms in OpenSSL for patent reasons.
 + + hpn      : Enable high performance ssh
 - - kerberos : Add kerberos support
 + + ldap     : Add support for storing SSH public keys in LDAP
 - - ldns     : Use LDNS for DNSSEC/SSHFP validation.
 - - libedit  : Use the libedit library (replacement for readline)
 + + pam      : Add support for PAM (Pluggable Authentication Modules) - DANGEROUS to arbitrarily flip
 + + pie      : Build programs as Position Independent Executables (a security hardening technique)
 - - sctp     : Support for Stream Control Transmission Protocol
 - - skey     : Enable S/Key (Single use password) authentication support
 - - static   : !!do not set this during bootstrap!! Causes binaries to be statically linked instead of dynamically

but the reason for the problem is that the older algorithms have been removed from openssh-6.7.  I just downgraded to 6.6 on one machine and once again was able to ssh in from OmniOS.  Upgrade to 6.7 again and the common kex problem re-arose.

Michael.