[OmniOS-discuss] packaging - unwanted directory group owner

Vincenzo Pii piiv at zhaw.ch
Wed Dec 3 09:33:30 UTC 2014

I am on my way to package some source code for OmniOS.

For one package I have this problem, as seen from the res file:

    dir  path=etc/init.d owner=root group=bin mode=0755

This is changing the owner of the /etc/init.d dir to bin (should be sys)
and so conflicts with other packages.

If I try to install this, I get

    pkg install: The requested change to the system attempts to install
multiple actions
    for dir 'etc/init.d' with conflicting attributes:

    1 package delivers 'dir group=bin mode=0755 owner=root path=etc/init.d':
    [...]
    5 packages deliver 'dir group=sys mode=0755 owner=root path=etc/init.d':
    [...]

Now, I can't find where in the source code this change is happening (e.g.,
chgrp'ing or chown'ing the folder), but I don't even know if this "bin"
group comes from some default setting of the packaging template (so not
directly from one of the install scripts in the code).

My questions are:

1) Is there a way to manually edit the res file (<pkg_name>.p5m.int.3.res)
and just rebuild the package? The edit would consist in changing
"group=bin" to "group=sys" (I am 100% sure this won't be a problem for this
package).

2) If "group=bin" comes from some default, can I override this setting?

Many thanks!

--
Vincenzo Pii
Researcher, InIT Cloud Computing Lab