[OmniOS-discuss] KVM compatibility with Linux

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Dec 3 12:02:26 UTC 2014

A team I know uses a Linux server hosting some KVM machines for continuous integration and testing of their work. Now there is discussion about backing it up and/or replicating, and I proposed to set up an omnios box for dependable storage and VM capabilities (at least vbox, or maybe kvm).

A question popped up - how comparable (features, hw support) and compatible (copy-paste the disk image and config) are the kvm implementations in linux and illumos/omnios today?

And what is the state of libvirt in illumos/omnios regarding management of VMs and similar environments (zones, vboxes, maybe BEs, etc.)?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Samsung Android