[OmniOS-discuss] dedup causes zfs/omnios to drop connections.

Jason Cox cscoman at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 15:12:43 UTC 2014

I have found that turning on compression gets more savings when storing my
backups then I got with dedup on. I run gzip-9 for my backup dataset. I
think dedup is good if you are storing a lot of files that really are the
same. Your mileage may vary compared to mine. I do a full backup once a
week and incrementals daily.

On Mon, Dec 15, 2014 at 2:17 PM, Rune Tipsmark <rt at steait.net> wrote:

> we have only 24GB of ram on this system...
> I was under the impression it would not require much when the block size
> was larger, we are on 64kb, so would expect around 2GB per 1TB.
> yet we cannot even get more than a few TB on the system before it dies.
>
> the main purpose with this system was dedup, no problem with slow speed...
> its for backup only, so could not care less if its rather slow - but not
> responding is not acceptable.
> br,
> Rune

Jason Cox