[OmniOS-discuss] Sneak modified scsi_vhci.conf in under installer ?

Richard Elling richard.elling at richardelling.com
Sat Dec 27 18:54:01 UTC 2014

> On Dec 26, 2014, at 2:36 PM, sergei <sergei25 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> The disks I want to install OmniOS to are TOSHIBA AL13SEB300 model which scsi_vhci won't take over without proper conf file listing this model under "scsi-vhci-failover-override" line. Right now those disk device path starts with /pci instead of /scsi_vhci. Yet they are showing up in format output ok. What is the trick to fix this without rebuilding install ISO image ?

easy -- don't rebuild the install ISO image :-)

> I could install into one of (larger) Seagates and then mirror/remove mirror to move boot OS to the proper disks. Is there any easier way ?

ugh, too much work.
Try this (I'm sure I blogged this a few times, or maybe in the Nexenta knowledge base?)
I'm sure the procedure is in the email archives...

1. go ahead and do the installation.
2. boot into newly installed OS
3. edit scsi_vhci.conf
4. shutdown
5. boot from install media, go to shell
6. import rpool
7. export rpool
8. reboot into newly installed OS

ZFS is tolerant of path changes, but you have to trick the boot process.

> I think it would benefit Omni if you could keep scsi_vhci with at least some updates. I see Nexenta does include bunch of models into it's default scsi_vhci.conf.

The root cause is a deficiency in detecting multiple ports. The workaround is to override
in scsi_vhci.conf. The fix is known, just need to find the time...
 -- richard