[OmniOS-discuss] adding cua/a as a second login

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Wed Dec 31 22:50:28 UTC 2014

On Fri, Dec 05, 2014 at 08:50:57AM +1000, Michael Mounteney wrote:

> Paul:  https://www.illumos.org/issues/5391

I finished the code change to make this work. If you'd like to test it
out, you can find an omnios-stable compatible binary at:

	https://www.cpp.edu/~henson/tmp/login

You can either boot into a new BE to test it, or just make a backup copy
of /usr/bin/login and copy in the test one.  I tested it myself and
believe it functions correctly, but be sure to have an active root login
up in another window to either boot back into the original BE or copy
the original login binary back into place if you have any problems.

I left the console on the frame buffer and set up a secondary serial
login as described at

	https://docu.blackdot.be/snipets/solaris/misc-serial-console

Which is what I believe you did; with a setting of:

CONSOLE=/dev/console,/dev/term/a

I can log in as root on both the framebuffer console and the serial
login. Note that setting CONSOLE to just /dev/console also implicitly
allows the virtual terminals access as root too, adding the second
device removes that implicit access so they would need to be enumerated
individually to maintain it. They're not even enabled by default so
that's probably not an issue for you.

Now I just need to go update the documentation, put up a webrev, and see
what the dev community thinks about it ;).

Let me know if you have any questions or problems.