[OmniOS-discuss] [discuss] overriding serial port IRQ

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Sun Feb 2 21:37:19 UTC 2014

On Sun, Feb 02, 2014 at 11:10:35AM -0500, Albert Lee wrote:

> To introduce this info to the devinfo tree, append to /kernel/drv/asy.conf:
> name="asy" parent="isa" reg=1,0x3e8,8 interrupts=10;

Thanks for the tip. I updated my asy.conf, it looks like this now:

-----
interrupt-priorities=12;

# temporarily hardcode serial config due to broken BIOS
name="asy" parent="isa" reg=1,0x3f8,8 interrupts=4;
name="asy" parent="isa" reg=1,0x2f8,8 interrupts=3;
name="asy" parent="isa" reg=1,0x3e8,8 interrupts=10;
-----

I then did a 'bootadm update-archive' (under the assumption this config
needed to be pulled into it), and rebooted, but unfortunately, the
serial console is still misbehaving :(. I have verbose boot enabled, and
all I see is:

SunOS Release 5.11 Version omnios-6de5e81 64-bit
Copyright (c) 1983, 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights
reserved.
[ network/ip-inter

and then it stops, like it did before I tweaked asy.conf. I don't see
any mention of serial, or asy, or tty/console in dmesg, is there any way
to confirm what irq the os is using to make sure it picked up the
hardcoded config? Hmm, looks like prtconf -v shows it:

            asy, instance #2
                System properties:
                    name='interrupts' type=int items=1
                        value=0000000a
                    name='reg' type=int items=3
                        value=00000001.000003e8.00000008
                    name='interrupt-priorities' type=int items=1
                        value=0000000c

Looks like it picked up irq 10 (0xa)? The other two ports say "not attached",
not sure why, maybe because nothing's using them:

            asy, instance #0 (driver not attached)

            asy, instance #1 (driver not attached)

Hmm, darn it. I tested it under linux while I was trying to figure out
what broke, linux barfed on the bad bios config too, but when I hardcoded
the irq to 10 linux worked fine on the SOL port, so I know it can work.

Any other thoughts? Or maybe I'm SOL on the SOL port pending a supermicro
bios update <sigh>.

Thanks much...