[OmniOS-discuss] [discuss] overriding serial port IRQ

Albert Lee trisk at nexenta.com
Sun Feb 2 16:10:35 UTC 2014

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 8:46 PM, Paul B. Henson <henson at acm.org> wrote:
> So I updated the BIOS on my storage box, which has a supermicro X9SRi-F,
> from 2.0a to 3.0a, and my IPMI SOL console stopped working :(. After an
> annoying investigation, I discovered that the new BIOS misconfigures
> ttyc/COM3, the BIOS says it's using irq 4, when in actuality it's using
> irq 10. Under linux, when I override the bios config and force the
> driver to use irq 10, it works fine.
>
> How do I get an illumos/omnios box to override the bios serial port
> config and use an explicitly configured irq rather than the BIOS
> provided one? It looks like I need to tweak something in
> /kernel/drv/asy.conf, but I'm not really clear on exactly what.
>
> Thanks for any pointers, and ay, supermicro, fix one thing and break
> another <sigh>...

To introduce this info to the devinfo tree, append to /kernel/drv/asy.conf:
name="asy" parent="isa" reg=1,0x3e8,8 interrupts=10;

If the first two serial ports don't keep working, also prepend
name="asy" parent="isa" reg=1,0x3f8,8 interrupts=4;
name="asy" parent="isa" reg=1,0x2f8,8 interrupts=3;

-Albert

Albert Lee <trisk at nexenta.com>
Nexenta Systems, Inc.