[OmniOS-discuss] Supermicro IPMI based BIOS update

wuffers moo at wuffers.net
Wed Feb 5 19:59:10 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 9:36 PM, Paul B. Henson <henson at acm.org> wrote:

> Did you ever get a response? So far I have still been unable to find a
> source for purchasing these "IPMI BIOS update" license keys...

Sorry, hadn't gotten a response and had to push my reseller again for some
updated information which I finally got, hence the late reply.

The part number you are looking for is "SFT-OOB-LIC", which seems to be
~$20 per node (or motherboard).

And yes, it's somehow tied to the serial number or BMC MAC of the server,
so you can't just buy one activation key and use it on multiple servers.
It's all part of their "value-add" Server Management Utilities (
http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/files/SSM/SSM_brochure.pdf).

I guess in the end, it's up to the vendor to determine what's "essential"
or not in their base offerings. I mean, HP charges for "remote graphical
access" on their Advanced iLO licenses..