[OmniOS-discuss] Granular control of fma modules

Anh Quach anhquach at me.com
Sun Feb 23 20:09:51 UTC 2014

Thanks, Richard.

Yeah, it seems in Solaris 11.1, you can disable over-temp in the disk-transport module in /usr/lib/fm/fmd/plugins/disk-transport.conf by:

setprop temp-multiple 0

but it applies to all disks as far as I know. I haven’t found a way to only specify certain disks to be omitted. Anyway, is this parameter not implemented in OminOS then? I’ve got the module unloaded for now, as you suggested.

Not a huge deal as we won’t be going with these Seagates in production, but a minor annoyance during testing. :)

--
Anh Quach
Sent with Airmail

On February 22, 2014 at 9:49:59 PM, Richard Elling (richard.elling at richardelling.com) wrote:

On Feb 18, 2014, at 4:17 PM, Anh Quach <anhquach at me.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to tell the disk-transport FMA module to ignore over-temperature on only a certain set of disks?

In Solaris 11, yes this is possible. However, the open source community has not implemented it
yet, AFAIK.

> I’m doing testing with some Seagate Constellation.3’s that seem to run hotter even at idle than the rest of my disks (39-44 C) and they are continually getting flagged for over temp. I know I can disable to the temp alert for that module but I don’t want to disable it for all disks, just these new Seagates.

You can unload disk-transport altogether as a workaround. The root cause is a bug in
the Seagate firmware introduced in version 3 of their firmware. A fix is in the works
for version 4, available RSN.
— richard

--

ZFS storage and performance consulting at http://www.RichardElling.com