[OmniOS-discuss] ZFS on iSCSI Target. OmniOS as Initiator

Dan Swartzendruber dswartz at druber.com
Thu Feb 27 15:54:33 UTC 2014

> Hello List.
>
> I'm experimenting with ZFS on a iSCSI target.
> Currently I have a OmniOS server which is a iSCSI initiator to a iSCSI
> target
> located out on the public internet from my hosting provider.
>
> As for now the iSCSI target is about 300GB which I have managed to connect
> and created a ZFS pool on the target.
>
> Now for the questions, what would the scenario be if I asked my provider
> to extend (grow) the iSCSI target, and how will my ZFS OmniOS box see
> the new size ? Do I need any to scrub the pool, or how to I grow my pool
> to the new size provided by my hosting provider ?
>
> As before, now I have a 300GB ZFS pool on the iSCSI target.
> Which I have mounted and everything seems to work fine.
>
> Later the iSCSI target will be grown to 500GB. Are there anything
> special work that needs to be done regarding growing the ZFS datapool from
> 300GB to 500GB.

I can't see this working at all.  Even if the iscsi initiator presents the
new bigger size, the pool/vdevs/etc have all been created using a specific
'disk' size.  Rather than grow the target, can they carve off more space
and present you a 2nd LUN?  You could then add that as a 2nd vdev to the
pool...