[OmniOS-discuss] omnios-build: the build system, scripts and merging between branches

Dan McDonald danmcd at omniti.com
Mon Jul 7 16:02:59 UTC 2014

On Jul 7, 2014, at 11:38 AM, Lauri Tirkkonen <lotheac at iki.fi> wrote:

> Please read this and comment if you maintain a fork of omnios-build.
> Thanks.

I'll have to read this more deeply, of course, but I had only one knee-jerk reaction:

> Proof of concept is on github niksula/omnios-build split branch and
> niksula/omnios-build-scrips repos:
>
>    git clone -b split https://github.com/niksula/omnios-build.git
>    cd omnios-build
>    git clone https://github.com/niksula/omnios-build-scripts.git build
>    cd build/ircii
>    ./build.sh
>
> In the PoC I moved buildctl out of build/ and {site,config}.sh inside it
> (to the omnios-build-scripts repo). It's not a finished product, but
> should demonstrate what I'm saying.
>
> Thoughts?

This *seems* sensible, especially as you've put buildctl at the top-level in the omnios-build half of the split.

It seems right now, however, that buildctl still assumes it's in build/. instead of one directory above it.  It's also not 100% clear that the functions in lib/ have been altered to assume site.sh and config.sh are in build instead of lib.

I'd like to see what all changed in any scripts that now live in the "build" half of your split vs. their original pre-split incarnations.  Not sure if github or a tool like webrev would be able to help here.

Also, I've been documenting buildctl and my wrapper - OmniOS-on-demand - which generates the bloody bits.  I will have one push upstream to help here.