[OmniOS-discuss] Postgres on Stable

Zach Malone zmalone at omniti.com
Fri Nov 28 21:29:19 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Michael Mounteney
<gate03 at landcroft.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 15:08:16 -0500
> Zach Malone <zmalone at omniti.com> wrote:
>
>> We have pretty much abandoned 9.3, and are using 9.2 in production,
>> with plans to evaluate 9.4 when it's released.
>
> May I ask why ?  The problem is that I have databases built with 9.3,
> and I don't know to downgrade or even if it's possible.

9.3 has had a number of bugs that resulted in data corruption.  The
general feel from the PG community was that it was better to stay on
9.2.

>> If you want to build your own repo, so you can manage your own
>> versions and patches, you just need to clone
>> [...]
>> Oh yeah, http://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/CreatingRepos has
>> instructions on creating pkg repos, in case you missed that.
>
> Yes;  I'd avoided getting involved in my own repository building so
> far, but it's a bridge I'll have to cross.

I completely understand.

> root at world:/root# pkg -R /zone/diener/root install -v postgresql-934
> Creating Plan \
> pkg install: No solution was found to satisfy constraints
>
> maintained incorporations:
>
>   pkg://omnios/entire@11,5.11-0.151012:20141027T191658Z
>   pkg://omnios/incorporation/jeos/illumos-gate@11,5.11-0.151012:20140913T032317Z
>   pkg://omnios/consolidation/osnet/osnet-incorporation@0.5.11,5.11-0.151012:20140913T033401Z
>   pkg://omnios/incorporation/jeos/omnios-userland@11,5.11-0.151012:20141027T191659Z
>
> Plan Creation: dependency error(s) in proposed packages:
>
>   No suitable version of required package pkg://ms.omniti.com/omniti/database/postgresql-934@9.3.4,5.11-0.151008:20140603T183939Z found:
>     Reject:  pkg://ms.omniti.com/omniti/database/postgresql-934@9.3.4,5.11-0.151008:20140603T183939Z
>     Reason:  A version for 'incorporate' dependency on pkg:/entire at 11,5.11-0.151008 cannot be found
>   No suitable version of required package pkg://ms.omniti.com/omniti/database/postgresql-934@9.3.4,5.11-0.151010:20140804T183201Z found:
>     Reject:  pkg://ms.omniti.com/omniti/database/postgresql-934@9.3.4,5.11-0.151010:20140804T183201Z
>     Reason:  A version for 'incorporate' dependency on pkg:/entire at 11,5.11-0.151010 cannot be found
>   No suitable version of required package pkg://ms.omniti.com/omniti/database/postgresql-934@9.3.4,5.11-0.151006:20140423T181948Z found:
>     Reject:  pkg://ms.omniti.com/omniti/database/postgresql-934@9.3.4,5.11-0.151006:20140423T181948Z
>     Reason:  A version for 'incorporate' dependency on pkg:/entire at 11,5.11-0.151006 cannot be found
>
> Plan Creation: Errors in installed packages due to proposed changes:
>
>   No suitable version of installed package pkg://omnios/entire@11,5.11-0.151012:20141027T191658Z found
>     Reject:  pkg://omnios/entire@11,5.11-0.151012:20141027T191658Z
>     Reason:  Excluded by proposed incorporation 'omniti/database/postgresql-934'
>              This version is excluded by installed incorporation pkg://omnios/entire@11,5.11-0.151012:20141027T191658Z

I hadn't realized we incorporated against the OS for postgres, I'll
spin a new postgresql-934 or 935 on a 012 machine when I get a chance.
It looks like 012 doesn't have a Vagrant box published yet either,
which will make this take a little longer.

8.3.4 could install because it predates us having a OS incorporation,
so it was willing to install onto any omnios system.
--Zach