[OmniOS-discuss] Release 12 - KVM poor network performance

Machine Man gearboxes at outlook.com
Sat Nov 29 23:50:50 UTC 2014

Hello,We experience slow network performance after upgrading for virtual machines.
Copying from a system (physical machine) to the VM the copy speed drop from 85MB/s on release 10 to between 9 and 14MB/s. Both systems I upgraded experience the exact same symptom and use the igb driver.Both have Supermicro mainboards;  X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD and X10SLL-F. Copy tests are done between windows 8.1 and a Windows 2012R2 VM.
Changing to virtio for nic as suggested in a previous email had no impact other than causing kvm to crash after copying ~400MB.
Anyone else seeing this behavior? I do see the X10SLL board has an e1000g nic alsoLINK         MEDIA                STATE      SPEED  DUPLEX    DEVICE
e1000g0      Ethernet             unknown    0      half      e1000g0
igb0         Ethernet             up         1000   full      igb0
I will switch over to that and test again.

Thanks,