[OmniOS-discuss] r151012 is coming...

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Tue Sep 2 21:38:16 UTC 2014

On Tue, Sep 02, 2014 at 04:21:56PM -0500, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> > If pkgsrc (presumably Joyent's pkgin binaries?) were bundled into
> > OmniOS, I would hope they'd be optional packages and not part of the
> > default install.
>
> By 'pkgsrc' I assume that they mean the package manager itself, which
> is able to install other packages.

Yes, and by "not part of the default install" I mean that the package
manager itself would need a 'pkg install' to get installed :).  A base
pkgsrc bootstrap of just the pieces to install packages is still like a
dozen packages... Not everyone is going to use it, so it shouldn't be
installed by default...

http://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/KYSTY

# pkg install system/management/pkgin

or whatever doesn't seem to be too much trouble for somebody who wants to use
it.