[OmniOS-discuss] r151012 is coming...

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Tue Sep 2 21:50:58 UTC 2014

The poses the question: we're already responsible for the correct operation
of the pkgadd (SVR4 tools) and pkg(5) IPS tools.  I'm not sure that OmniOS
wants to be responsible for the correct operation of pkgin (not even
opening the can of worms that are the packages that it provides).

On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 5:38 PM, Paul B. Henson <henson at acm.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 02, 2014 at 04:21:56PM -0500, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:
>
> > > If pkgsrc (presumably Joyent's pkgin binaries?) were bundled into
> > > OmniOS, I would hope they'd be optional packages and not part of the
> > > default install.
> >
> > By 'pkgsrc' I assume that they mean the package manager itself, which
> > is able to install other packages.
>
> Yes, and by "not part of the default install" I mean that the package
> manager itself would need a 'pkg install' to get installed :).  A base
> pkgsrc bootstrap of just the pieces to install packages is still like a
> dozen packages... Not everyone is going to use it, so it shouldn't be
> installed by default...
>
> http://omnios.omniti.com/wiki.php/KYSTY
>
> # pkg install system/management/pkgin
>
> or whatever doesn't seem to be too much trouble for somebody who wants to
> use
> it.

Theo Schlossnagle

http://omniti.com/is/theo-schlossnagle