[OmniOS-discuss] r151012 is coming...

Eric Sproul esproul at omniti.com
Wed Sep 3 04:16:46 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, September 2, 2014, Jorge Schrauwen <sjorge+ml at blackdot.be>
wrote:

> Attempt 2, because my mail client is dumb.
>
> Oh another one that came to mind...
> Maybe also move omniti-ms to a versioned repository like and rebuild them
> every release, we now have stuff with build number over th 060 and 080
> range! It's not very clean. The again.. that would require reinstall of all
> those packages every upgrade which may not be what people want.

That has been discussed, though I'm of the opinion that non-core
repos (those supplied as add-ons, beyond the release repo) can freely store
versions for multiple releases, simply by establishing an incorporate
dependency on "entire" at a branch version matching the release on which
the package content was built.  This ensures that this package version will
only install on one release.

This has been the default in the omniti-ms branch of omnios-build for over
a year.  There are still older packages that were built prior to this
change, but all of the recently-updated things act this way.  I can also
say that Circonus successfully uses this method in our own repos.

It's also a simple one-line change if anyone wants it in their own
forks/copies: https://github.com/omniti-labs/omnios-build/commit/f9f0f0de

Note, though, that omniti-ms packages are updated on OmniTI's own schedule
according to internal priorities, so the complete set may not get rolled
for every stable release.

Eric