[OmniOS-discuss] r151012 is coming...

Eric Sproul esproul at omniti.com
Wed Sep 3 14:17:28 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 2:16 AM, Lauri Tirkkonen <lotheac at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 03 2014 00:16:46 -0400, Eric Sproul wrote:
>> This ensures that this package version will only install on one
>> release.
>
> Perhaps off-topic, but I'm curious: was this prompted by being bitten by
> binary incompatibility at some point or are you just being cautious? I'm
> still happily building stuff in my repo on 151006 and running some of it
> on 151010...

Partly it's that we can't predict the future, but there are also
forward-compatibility problems that this prevents as well.  For
example, consider:

foo at 1.2-0.151006 - built on 006, might run on later releases
foo at 1.3-0.151010 - built on 010, *will not* run on older releases due
to libc changes

In the absence of an incorporation on entire, the higher component
version (1.3) will trump and an 006 system would try to install it,
and be broken.  This is the more concerning condition, and the reason
why the automatic incorporation was added.

It occurs to me that instead of an incorporate dependency, a "require"
of entire@<built-on-release> would prevent installation on older
releases (require is a version floor only) while allowing it to be
installed on future releases, which is more likely to work.  It's
something to think about.

Eric