[OmniOS-discuss] r151012 is coming...

Lauri Tirkkonen lotheac at iki.fi
Wed Sep 3 15:52:29 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 03 2014 10:17:28 -0400, Eric Sproul wrote:
> Partly it's that we can't predict the future, but there are also
> forward-compatibility problems that this prevents as well.  For
> example, consider:
>
> foo at 1.2-0.151006 - built on 006, might run on later releases
> foo at 1.3-0.151010 - built on 010, *will not* run on older releases due
> to libc changes
>
> In the absence of an incorporation on entire, the higher component
> version (1.3) will trump and an 006 system would try to install it,
> and be broken.  This is the more concerning condition, and the reason
> why the automatic incorporation was added.

If you are using pkgdepend and your application links against libc, this
isn't a problem: it will get a require dep to SUNWcs at the version
installed on the build machine at build time.

> It occurs to me that instead of an incorporate dependency, a "require"
> of entire@<built-on-release> would prevent installation on older
> releases (require is a version floor only) while allowing it to be
> installed on future releases, which is more likely to work.  It's
> something to think about.

Sure, if you want to be explicit you can do this as well.

--
Lauri Tirkkonen | +358 50 5341376 | lotheac @ IRCnet